Coronavirus infections not on decline: doctor in Syria’s Damascus

DAMASCUS, Syria (North Press) – On Monday, a doctor in al-Mowasat in Syria’s Damascus said that he has not noticed any decline in the numbers of coronavirus infections despite the suspension of school day and academic year in universities.

“We expected the daily recorded numbers of coronavirus cases to decline after suspending schools and universities, but so far we have not witnessed any change,” the doctor, who preferred to remain unnamed, told North Press.

The doctor attributed the reason of the continuation of the infections’ sharp spike to “the ongoing gatherings in public places, cafés, restaurants, in addition to holding weddings and funerals in halls.”

On Sunday, the Health Ministry’s Information Office in the Syrian government announced the registration of 10 deaths and 108 new coronavirus cases in the government-held areas.

The Syrian government has suspended school day and academic year in universities for two weeks since April 4.

The total toll of coronavirus cases in the Syrian government-held areas has come up to 20,226 including 1,378 deaths and 14,012 recoveries.

Reporting by Wahid al-Attar