QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Four children were killed and three others injured on Thursday after a landmine left behind from previous conflicts exploded in the countryside of Idlib, northwestern Syria, local sources told North Press.
The explosion occurred in the village of Abu Haba in rural Idlib, according to local residents, who said the children were near the site when the device detonated.
The injured children were transferred to nearby medical centers for treatment, while the condition of some of the wounded was reported as critical.
Earlier on Thursday, another explosion caused by war remnants killed a man and injured his wife in the countryside of Hama in central Syria.
Landmines and unexploded ordnance continue to pose a major threat to civilians across Syria, particularly in rural areas that witnessed years of fighting between multiple parties to the conflict.
Humanitarian organizations and demining teams have repeatedly warned about the risks posed by unexploded devices, which continue to claim civilian lives despite the decline in active military confrontations in several regions.