QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian Interior Ministry announced on Monday the arrest of several former regime officers accused of involvement in crimes and violations against civilians, following two security operations in the countryside of Jableh in Latakia governorate.
According to the ministry, the operations targeted individuals linked to the former government’s military and security apparatus. In a statement, the ministry said that Brigadier General Amer Youssef Suleiman al-Hassan, who previously served as field operations commander in the State Security branch in Latakia, was detained.
The statement added that Brigadier General Ghaith Mohammad Suleiman Shaheen, a former battalion commander in the 18th Tank Division, was also arrested on charges of participating in shelling operations that affected several Syrian cities.
The ministry further reported the arrest of Colonel Nizar Shaheen Shaheen, a former artillery battalion commander accused of committing violations against civilians in the city of al-Qusayr.
Earlier, a government source told North Press that Zakaria al-Sheikh Hussein, a member of the Internal Security Forces from the town of Qastoun, was killed during clashes with armed groups affiliated with the former regime in al-Qutailbiyah area in Jableh countryside. Two other targeted individuals were also reported killed during the operation.
The Interior Ministry stated that one of the wanted individuals, Yamen Aref Shaheen, resisted arrest and refused to surrender, leading to his death during the operation. It also noted that a member of the special tasks unit was injured and later died from his wounds.
The arrests come amid ongoing security operations in several areas targeting individuals accused of past violations during the Syrian conflict.