New batch of 240 Iraqi families depart Hawl Camp in northeast Syria
HASAKAH, Syria (North Press) – A new group of 240 Iraqi families departed on Monday Hawl Camp in northeastern Syria, as part of ongoing coordination between the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES), the Iraqi government, and the UNHCR.
Jihan Hannan, the co-chair of Hawl Camp administration, told North Press that this is the 31st departure since repatriation operations began.
She said that 858 people left the camp today, comprising 240 families.
“More departures will be organized in the coming period,” she added. “Around 3,000 Iraqi refugees remain in the camp, but no date has been set for the next batch.”
The co-chair explained that a large number of Iraqi families currently do not wish to leave, posing a significant challenge for camp administration.
She said that this issue will be discussed with the Iraqi government, the United Nations, and the AANES to determine the appropriate legal procedures.
Hannan noted that the camp administration has now emptied two entire sectors previously inhabited by Iraqis, while around 200 families continue to refuse repatriation. This, she said, requires a new mechanism to address these cases in coordination with relevant authorities.
She indicated that the remaining number of Iraqi refugees is very small compared to previous years. “The administration will begin relocating all Iraqi residents to Sector 6, which is designated for them, in preparation for the complete closure of Sectors 1 and 2,” she noted.