SUWAYDA, Syria (North Press) – The Syrian transitional government released on Wednesday 30 detainees from Suwayda who had been held in Adra Central Prison near Damascus for nearly three months, according to humanitarian sources.
A source in the Syrian Arab Red Crescent told North Press that the total number of those released reached 32 individuals. Two of them were handed over to their families in Damascus, while the remaining thirty were transported to Suwayda, where they were received by relatives and local residents.
In mid-July 2025, tensions in Suwayda escalated into violent confrontations between Druze fighters, who had since formed the “National Guard,” and Bedouin armed groups affiliated with the Syrian central government. The clashes were sparked by the alleged abduction of a Druze truck driver along the Damascus–Suwayda highway. This incident quickly ignited a cycle of retaliatory attacks, resulting in widespread violence across the region. By July 15, more than 200 people — including Druze civilians and fighters — had lost their lives. Numerous others were injured, and reports emerged of kidnappings and disappearances. The unrest also caused large-scale displacement, uprooting many families from their homes.
The release took place under the supervision of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, which facilitated the transfer and ensured medical and logistical support during the process. The move was described by local residents as a humanitarian step that brought relief to families awaiting news of their loved ones.
According to testimonies gathered by North Press from some of the released detainees, they reported receiving fair treatment during their detention in Adra Central Prison. They said that food and medical care were provided regularly and expressed hope that other detainees still held by the authorities would soon be released.