Iran sanctions 52 Americans on anniversary of Soleimani killing
QAMISHLI, Syria (North Press) – Iran announced sanctions against 52 US nationals over the killing of Tehran’s Major General Qasem Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
On January 3, 2020, a US drone strike near Baghdad International Airport killed Soleimani along with other escorts.
Many of those targeted by Iran’s sanctions are from the US military.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said 52 Americans had been targeted for what it called “terrorism” and human rights violations.
The sanctions let Tehran confiscate assets owned by the US sanctioned individuals in Iran, but since they clearly do not have such assets, the move is largely symbolic.
Iran will face severe consequences if it attacks Americans, the White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan warned yesterday.
Sullivan said Iran’s sanctionscame as Tehran’s proxy militias continue to attack American soldiers in the Middle East.
“We will work with our allies and partners to deter and respond to any attacks carried out by Iran,” Sullivan said in a statement, adding: “Should Iran attack any of our nationals, including any of the 52 people named yesterday, it will face severe consequences.”